Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Card Making-what has Hallmark done for you...

OK, before leaving, this is not about card store bashing. Seriously, when was the last time you went into the store, and found a greeting card that really spoke to you? This is how I got started making cards. The last time I bought a card, I stood there for a whole 30 minutes, and still did not find exactly what I wanted to say for a friend's birthday. I was also shopping for a Mother's day card. I got the cards, but I was highly disappointed, and the price did not help either. Mass produced greeting cards do exactly have their place, and they always will, as long as there is a person out there, who do not have the time nor the patience to make one at the last minute. I just chose to go the other direction. To be honest, card making is really easier than scrapbooking, because you do not have to match the colors in a photo, unless you use a photo in the card. Photo cards are all the rage, and I will explain them a little later.




To make a basic $1.00 card, you will need the following:



• 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper cut in half horizontally.

• Adhesive, otherwise called glue.

• Marker or a pen

• Some type of embellishment. If you are a scrapbooker already, whatever you use to decorate your scrapbook pages will do. If not, then going to the dollar store and grabbing some stickers will do nicely. If you have a store called Big Lots, then you can just go to the stationary section of the store, and they will be there.



With your cut piece of paper, fold it in half, set it to the side, or you can embellish it at this point. I always mat my card fronts first before I glue it to the card front. You do not this step. Place your embellishments on the card, and write a sentiment on the front. On the inside of the card, write a personal note or find a sentiment such as a quote or a poem to write, and sign your card. Do not forget the envelope. This is a good beginning project for kids. The embellishment can be one of their drawings. Have them draw on the front of the card, and if they cannot write or spell, you dictate what they want to put on the card.



We will talk later on how to mail off your card. God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.