Monday, April 15, 2019

What I use to create cards


Disclaimer: Patricia Logan and P. Lynne Designs is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Ok, I am finally putting out a crafting post.  Apologies for not having one.  I wanted to introduce myself to some people and reintroduce myself to others who have been here waiting so patiently for that first post in over two years! Yikes, I did not know I was out that long until I just thought about it.  Again, so sorry.  Life and family got in the way, but you must take care of those you love first.  I am quoting the late Dave Longaberger, who used to tell his home consultants at Longaberger that God and family come first.  Everything is secondary or not needed at all.  I feel that sometimes Americans, as well as most of the Western World have forgotten about that aspect of our lives, and it is now money, how to earn, and how to spend it.
Well, I have not forgotten, or I would not be having this conversation with you.  I care about those who read my posts, but I also must take care of those I love.  This means my parents, taking care of myself, and giving God all the praise, but not in that order.  God comes first, always.
With that being said, today’s topic is not a series.  Oops, did I say that?  I mean everything is based on a series and I thought for once I would write down a single post, which has no rhyme or reason, but it has to do with my creative process.  This is one of many things I do in my shop, which also has been neglected until recently. 
No today’s topic is the art of making cards for my shop.  Currently, I have not stocked up since Christmas, and I need to.  After all, I missed Valentine's Day, St. Patrick’s day, and I am about to miss Easter, which is next Sunday.  Mother’s Day is around the corner, as well as Father’s Day, Arbor Day (Does anyone celebrates that anymore?) graduations, and Memorial and Fourth of July (for Americans).  I just thought of this, when 4th of July rolls around, half the year will be gone.  I now feel like Christmas was last week.
Anyway, in addition to showing you what I use, I want to take you briefly in my world on my process of making cards.  Did you know there are different methods to achieve on the endgame, which is a beautiful card? 
Oh, Toodles!
Sorry, Disney ™, I had to steal Mickey’s line when he calls for his Moussaka Tools.  If you are a parent, aunt, or uncle of a small child, you know what “Oh, Toodles” means, and you know how to use it, and this aunt knows how to use it. So, let me get my “Moussaka” Tools.  (Ok, I will stop talking childish now)



The basics
Yes, I do on occasion use my ruler, scissors, and paper trimmer, with bonefolder to cut and score my paper.  After all, this is how we all started out.  This is the simplest form of card making there is, and ever will be in my opinion, but I have also moved up and I will show you.
Cutting machines (Manual)
When I needed a little help, which is quite a lot these days, I break out the tools to make the card look pretty.  I have the following manual cutting and embossing machines.
Cuttlebug.
I use the Cuttlebug for embossing and die cutting.  I have one of the first ones that I bought for $72 on sale at Michaels.  I found out that Provo Craft Novelty has discontinued the machine as of January 2019, but you can still find the newest model in the stores.  It is best to use a coupon whenever you can to purchase tools like this and the electronic cutting machine that I recommend but beware.  Sometimes the coupon will say at the bottom, that it cannot be used for any tools (including sewing machines, and other electronic goodies).  Anyway, embossing folders make an impression on the cardstock, then you can get a die cut to place on the front of the card.
We R Memory Keepers Evolution
I also have this machine, but I do not use it for embossing and die cutting.  I use it for letter pressing.  You can use ink on the embossing folder and make an impression with ink.  They also make plates that you can use for the letter pressing.  In fact, I prefer this method better than using embossing folders.  In either case, please wash them before storing the folders or the plates.  Not good when you go to use them for your next project.
The way it works for both the Cuttlebug and the Evolution are you have a plate/paper/cutting die, embossing folder, or plate/outer plate sandwich, use the handle to pass this sandwich through the machine, and create a design.  Trust me, there are YouTube videos on both machines, and it is much easier than I am making it sound. 
Electronic Cutting machines…
If you do not want to create cards by manually feeding paper through a machine, put a little electricity behind it.  There is an electronic attachment for the Evolution Advance cutting machine, which costs extra (or get it in a bundle from Amazon or HSN), or you can go all out and buy a Cricut, Silhouette, or Brother 2 machine.  I have the Cricut Explore and Cricut marker, both do the same thing, except the maker cuts more materials than just paper.  It cuts fabric and thin sheets of wood (Bussa).
With both of these machines, I can cut a blank card with envelope, emboss with the scoring wheel (On the Maker) or stylus (on the Explore), and print from my printer and cut out the image on the cutters (print then cut feature).  I can make multiple cards with this machine by cutting everything at one time (if I use both machines).  This is the fastest way I can make a card, but I still have to put it together.
Adhesives (Glue and tape)
My most used tool of this form is a double-sided tape.  I use the brand, Scor-Tape, which if you are like me, you stock up on this tape and use it sparingly.  I use it in addition to a wet glue, which is Aleene’s Tacky Glue, that I have found, in all places, Dollar Tree.  (3 fl. Oz, so get plenty).  I also found small bottles of Mod Podge at the Dollar Tree too.

Finally, let’s put it together..

Ok, before we can put something together, my process is very simple.  This is before we use the tools I mention, or if you have made cards before, use the tools that you have.  I always say that this business is an investment.  If you are not in it for the business, then it is a hobby.  Either way, you are investing time and money for this, so, if you plan on buying any of the tools that I mentioned in this post, you have to want to use them.  Do not buy for the sake that I told you to buy them.  This can be a waste of your money and time.  If you are making cards one time, save the trouble and the headache of learning something new and fun, and buy something from Hallmark or American Greetings or hire someone like me to make you a card.  If you want to make something, there are kits at Joann’s, Michael’s, and Hobby Lobby that are a lot cheaper then buying a big machine you are going to use one time and let it sit there to collect dust.  When you buy a machine, even a manual machine like a Cuttlebug, you are investing in yourself the time and the money.  The hobby is relaxing and calming and the endgame is to cheer someone up or to celebrate an achievement.
My process
I plan, a lot.  I want to know what the theme, topic, whatever.  I have a sketch pad to draw it out.  I used several methods in the past, but my go-to method is sketch pad first, Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop second if I have to draw out something for my machine to cut out.  Sometimes, I skip the Adobe sisters (yes, my software are female) and go straight for Design Space.  This is online software that allows me to talk to my Cricut Maker or Explore.
With Design Space, I am allowed to use the shapes and images to cut out for the card.  I can import what I draw on the Adobe sisters, which is saved as a Jpeg or PNG file. Once imported and/or brought to the work area, I can tell the machine what to do.
In my planning, I may also incorporate a little stamping or some other technique for the card before putting it together.
Once I am done with the cutting and technique process, I put it together.  If there is more than one, I do it assembly style, grabbing each piece, stamping, or inking process one card at a time. I used to do an assembly method where I would do one piece at a time, like putting trees on each card, then stamping, and so forth, but I found the process tedious and boring.  Doing it the way I do it now is better for me because if I have to stop, I know where I am on the card, and I can get back to it where I left off.
This is my method of making cards, both a single card and multiple cards.
My points:
There are tons of tools out there for card making, from the simple to the more complex.  I have given you information on basic tools and more advanced tools.  You can find many techniques in your free public library and your free video library called, YouTube.
Also, many of the products listed can be found through Amazon, including the Cricut Maker and Explore Air 2 (I have the original Explore with the Bluetooth adaptor).
Have fun if this is a business and allow your creativity to shine but keep the customer’s interest at heart.  Remember it is about them.  Even if it is not a business investment for you, still have fun.  You never know whose heart you may touch through your work.
Finally, do get inspiration from everywhere in order to make your cards.  It may be from a stamp set, a walk through the woods, date night, a color palette, or a board on Pinterest.  Whatever the inspiration is please take it as inspiration and not as your work.  Cards are a work of art.
If you are in Central Ohio Area, I would be more than happy to teach you the basic of card making or any technique of papercrafting.  You can send an email to Admin@plynndesigns.com (new email address).  Also, you can send any questions you have on papercrafting through this address.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.