Friday, May 31, 2019

When you need a card right away…


or 

How to creatively cheat your way into a card.

Either title works for me. Blogger only allows one title, that’s it. 

If you ever run into a place in time where you need a card.  My parents had that experience today.  A few days ago, my parents were invited to a friend of the family’s birthday celebration.  Now, this was when I should have sung into action and offer to make a card for them to give to her or they should have asked.  Either way, the card was not made.  Fast forward to today, and no card. In fact, they had to get the card on the way to party.
I know, I know, I should have had a card ready for them to get, but I am now getting back into making anything. I had a slumming period of over a year, and my stash of cards ran out to the point where even I was running out to the store to buy a card.  I also was slumming in my writing, everything, and I talk about it over on the My Ambiance Life Blog for the reasons why, as well as the first post a few months ago on this blog. 
I rather not get into it now because as my pastor said in a meeting Monday, The past is the past and I do not want to discuss it.  Let’s move on.

Where was I?  Oh yes, my parents, the party, and the card. Ok, skip it.

The point to this is sometimes, life gets in the way, as well as you lose that creative mojo, and soon you find yourself in a rut.  I am on several Facebook creative groups, from Cricut groups, paper groups, and planner groups, where people have mentioned that they were in some kind of creative funk.  My creative funk was combination of life issues, financial issues, parents’ health issues, my health issues, find enough time, and feeling that you have made the “same thing over and over again, but different colors and different themes”.  No matter how hard I tried, it had gotten to the point where even Pinterest did not help, and I am big Pinterest addict. 

Around October 2018, I was asked to participate in a craft fair.  This was the first craft fair since Longaberger closed, which I always took their product to the craft fair because that was what the organizer wanted.  No matter how hard I tried to tell them that I also make products too, no, it had to be Longaberger or else. Well, in May 2018, Longaberger closed it’s doors, so the organizers had no choice but to accept my products.  The craft fair was to be held the first week of December, so I had plenty of time to make some products.  The Craft fair was also held at the same school my eldest nephew went to from Kindergarten -5th grade. (same name, new building).  I managed to make some bookmarks, little notebooks, and some Christmas cards.  I also managed to make some business cards and sent the design to Vistaprint to get them printed.

So that’s the end, right?

Wrong.  I started working on my website again. I put some designs on Zazzle, Redbubble, and started looking at my Etsy store again.  In fact, I received two orders for composition notebooks, had a few bad months, and this month I received two more orders.  It is wonderful to be working again.

Back to the last minute card….

You did not think that I forgot about my parents last minute card roundup, did you?  Well the rest of it comes in the form of sometimes you have to let other people do your work.  Yes, I know, it cost more to buy cards these days, and you are better off buying the materials for the card, and it can be made on the cheap.  No, that is not the case.  In fact, we were the one that made everyone step up on their designs in the first place, and I am not ashamed of it.
When you find yourself in a slump, go to the store and find a nice card to give at the last minute.  Again, there is nothing wrong with it.  It shows that you care about that person and you really put the time and effort to find that perfect card for them. 

I want to talk to you about American Greetings.  They sell more than just greeting cards.  They sell party supplies as well as gift wrap and gifts, and when you shop, you get 30% off all greeting cards, party supplies, and gift wrap.  Part of this is to help get those last minute things, include party stuff for your graduate, last day of school, even first day of summer.  Hurry, this last until May 31st.

So, where was I? New subject, my craftroom.

I have a goal for June, to finish my craftroom.  I know what I want, and I need to build the Kallax unit I already have, get another one to replace my broken bookcase (the dumpster is ready to receive it), and so on.  I also need to get the Alex drawers, and if you can guess, yes, it is all coming from Ikea.  The only thing that will be left is my computer desk, two 5-tier shelves, and the 9-cube unit, which is going in my room.

Takeaway moments:
  • It is ok, to be in a crafting slump, but do not be there too long.  Rather this is a hobby or a business venture, you have to get out it.  Find out why you do not have the stream to keep crafting.  It maybe one the things that put me into a slump, or it maybe something else.  If you think it is mental, seek help because it could start off as not wanting to craft, then it could turn into not wanting to get out of bed.  Trust me, I have been there.
  • If it just not having the ideas coming, seek pinterest, Instagram, or if you are not social media savvy, turn to books at the library or anything that sparks an interest in your head. 
  • When it comes that idea, draw it out, use a sketch pad, or if you have one of the drawing pads that attaches to your computer, use that.  This process helps because I can use it for future card making processes as well.
  • Finally, do not be afraid to admit that you were either too busy to make a card or let time slip away, allowing you to visit the neighborhood drug store, card shop, or even have another crafty friend make one for you.  Life has a way of slipping by, so enjoy those moments.  You are not week or lazy.  Life happens, and we all are human.
Enjoy this day, do not skip the small stuff, admit at least to yourself your mistake, and move forward and let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.